Fill in the details below to know more.
OCI Application - Get Started
RulesWhile applying for an OCI, it is mandatory to provide proof of your Cancelled Indian passport. If you can not provide any evidence, then you are required to obtain a Renunciation Certificate which has fees and penalties based on categories selected.
ExceptionOCI is Not Granted to any citizen who is / was and / or if their parents, grandparents or great grandparents are / were citizens of Pakistan, Bangladesh.
OCI applicants are requested to note that OCI cards are received in bulk batches at Embassy/Consulate. If Govt. of India website shows that OCI card has been received at Mission, it does not mean that it is ready to be dispatched immediately. Your OCI card will be processed batch-wise on first in first out basis. A notification message will be sent to you as soon as your OCI card is sent to CKGS. Please do not call our contact center regarding this inquiry, as our staff will not have any additional information about the timelines.The Benefits of being an OCI Card holder
- Multi-purpose, multiple entries, lifelong visa for visiting India.
- Exemption from registration with local police authority for any length of stay in India.
- Parity with NRIs in respect of economic, financial and education fields except in matters relating to the acquisition of agricultural / plantation properties.
- Parity with Non-Resident Indians in the matter of inter-country adoption of Indian children.
- Parity with resident Indian nationals in matters of tariffs in domestic air fares.
- Parity with domestic Indian visitors in respect of entry fees for visiting national parks and wildlife sanctuaries, visiting national monuments, historical sites and museums in India.
- Practicing the following professions - doctors, dentists, nurses and pharmacists, advocates, architects and chartered accountants.
- You are not allowed dual citizenship.
- You have to renounce your Indian Passport.
- You have no voting rights.
- You cannot be a candidate for Lok Sabha / Rajya Sabha / Legislative Assembly / Council or a member of the House of the People or of the Council of States.
- You cannot hold constitutional posts such as President, Vice President, Judge of Supreme Court / High Court, etc..
- You cannot normally hold employment in the Government of India.
Since the applicant is minor, it is mandatory for the both parents of minor applicant to sign page 3 of the OCI application form filled on Government website.
If you are a Foreign Spouse of a Person of Indian Origin you must provide
- Copy of Marriage Certificate:
- Marriage should be registered and subsisted for a continuous period of not less than 2 years preceding the OCI application.
- Interview at Embassy / Consulate:
- As directed by the Ministry of External Affairs, for acceptance/acknowledgment of OCI applications interview of applicant and spouse by the respective Embassy/ Consulate has been made mandatory. Only on the completion of the interview shall the application be processed further.CKGS will notify you of details of the interview after the application is received.
- Self attested Joint Statement signed by the couple stating:
- That in case of dissolution of marriage or deceased spouse, you must notify and return your OCI Card to the Embassy / Consulate.
There would be delays at CKGS end to process the applications received through post/courier due to the constraint. Applicant is requested to wait for atleast 72 working hour to check the application status on the CKGS website.
This is an advance notice for applicants falling under the Washington DC jurisdictions please note that CKGS would re-open its online application portal for OCI and Renunciation service on June 8th, 2020, 12:01 am EST onwards. Please note that applications of only those applicants falling under the Jurisdictions of EOI Washington DC would be accepted. Any applications from outside jurisdiction of EOI Washington DC will be returned to the applicant.
Applicants falling under the San Francisco, Chicago, Atlanta and houston jurisdictions please note that CKGS re-opened its online application portal for OCI and Renunciation service. Please note that applications of only those applicants falling under their respective Consular Jurisdictions would be accepted. Any applications from outside jurisdiction will be returned to the applicant.
Embassy of India
In light of existing advisories associated with the coronavirus and movement restrictions in several States, the Embassy of India has taken the following decisions with immediate effect:-
- OCI applications will not be accepted, including by postal mail, until further notice.
- Passport applications will not be accepted, including by postal mail, until further notice. However, applicants requiring passports on emergency basis may kindly send an email to
New York - email@example.com
explaining their emergency situation. Once the request has been approved, the applicant will be informed to complete the application process and send the papers by postal mail to CKGS for further processing.
- Miscellaneous consular services shall continue to be accepted only by postal mail until further notice. Applicants should factor in that it may take longer and there could be delays in providing miscellaneous services due to the current situation.
Primary Cause of OCI application rejections:
- Wrong Passport Details (45% of all rejections)
- “Present Address” mismatch with “address proof” - for OCI renewal applications under “Miscellaneous Services” (40% of all rejections)
- Kindly recheck that passport details entered are correct
- In case of change of address mentioned in the existing OCI card, select the option “Change of Address/Occupation” in the Government OCI website and fill up new address that matches with address proof.
- Signature on delivery is not available. FedEx/UPS would leaves the package outside the applicant’s residence if, an applicant is not at home.
Hold at Location:
- The Hold at Location is an option being given at no extra cost for applicants who may not be home or would not have any Adult at home when Fedex delivers the package, especially since the service is Delivery without signatures – as mentioned clearly in the terms and conditions. The applicants can chose the available FeDex location from the drop down menu after filling out the address
- Package will be held at one of the nearest FedEx location from your residence/home.
- Person or family member only can pick up the package.
- Signature on delivery along with ID copy is required at the time of pickup.
- Pick package as per your own date, time and convenience.
- No Loss of package/Increase in package security.